Baie de Baly
Tsingy de Namoroka
Cap Sainte Marie
Montagne et Forêt d’Ambre
News of Andasibe Analamazaotra protected area
News are ongoing...
|Andasibe AnalamazaotraThe Special Reserve of Analamazaotra Andasibe is in the Alaotra Mangoro . It is known for its rare orchids that bloom in the forest, Indri indri that can be observed all year round, its magnificent water falls and the famous cultural rituals of the inhabitants of its surrounding. Mantadia is joined with the national park of Zahamena by an impressive forest hall. GPS: 18°28' South, 48°28' East.
Mantadia and the Special Reserve of Indri of Analamazaotra form the complex Andasibe Mantadia. These two protected areas are identical but unfortunately the human pressures separated them . Mantadia spreads over 15 480 ha.
The forest of the Mantadia Park accommodates a lot of animals which assure their perpetuity at the same time. 108 species of birds are known in the park, of which some play a role in the survival of plants like Terpsiphone mutata. We can also find 14 species of lemurs in there , 51 species of reptiles Boa of which the famous Boa manditra and 84 species of amphibian. In the rivers of Mantadia several endemic fish species of which two are classified among the threatened species by the International Union of the Conservation of the Nature (UICN): Ratsirakia legendrei and Rheocles alaotrensis.
Finally, the bugs are the most numerous. The ecosystem of Mantadia depends on its lower-case letters animals: They are the pollinisateurs of the plants of flowers, the recyclers of the nourishing elements of soil and the organic garbage. In the food chain, the bugs are the food of many birds and mammals.
The best of the fauna of Mantadia
1. The Aye-aye or Daubentonia madagascariensis. This endemic lemur is known as being the strangest and most archaic of the lemurs. In the forests of Mantadia, it is one of the real living fossils of the animal kingdom.
2. Calumma parsonii is the biggest chameleon of Madagascar. You will see it in the park of Mantadia and the special Reserve of Analamazaotra in the hot season …if you arrive at distinguishing it fromthe tree that shelters it! Indeed, this chameleon has a camouflage worthy of the army!
3. Eulemur fulvus or Varika mavo. It is a cathemeral (diurnal and nocturnal) lemur that likes to live in group in the special reserve of Analamazoatra and the Mantadia National Park. We can see it all year round, in the forests and even alongside the road, particularly when the goyaviers of China carries its fruits!
4. Motacilla flaviventris is known by its Malagasy names Triotrio and Crushed. It is a Malagasy endemic bird, the most encounter even in villages.
5. Boa manditra, or Manditra simply, in Malagasy. A spectacular snake which awakens the respect and terror for a lot of Malagasy.
Since about two years, there are also a group of Propithecus diadema in Andasibe.
The flora Travel shrewd...
The forests of Mantadia are the domains of the lianas and épiphytes as the orchids, the mosses and the ferns. The orchids are very varied with more than a hundred species inventoried. Some varieties of plants have been introduced to Mantadia. They adapt well and managed to constitute a little abundant homogeneous formation. The goyaviers of China and other invading species as the Camelea sinensis, the Rubus mauricana has the tendency to colonize some parts of the protected area. the Eucalyptuses, the pinus and bamboos grows along the border of the site.
The best flora of Mantadia
1. The Orchids, endemic plants of Madagascar, some species of which like the Cymbidiella falcigera grows in the Special Reserve of Analamazoatra and in the Mantadia National Park . We can see the orchids all year round, they bloom between October and February.
2. Pandanus sp. or Vakoana. Endemic plant of Madagascar, its large leaves are micros habitats of some frogs. The inhabitants use the Vakoana to build their slots. We can see this plant all year round in the national park of Mantadia, in the reserve of Analamazaotra.
3. Cyathea sp. or Fanjàna. These are arborescent ferns with large leaves. The root of this plant is used in the manufacture of pots in fangeon. The Fanjàna grows all year round in the Special Reserve of Analamazoatra and in the Mantadia National Park .
4. Tambourissa sp. or Ambora. It is a rot-proof tree that the inhabitants of the region us for constructions. We can see it all year round in the national park of Mantadia and in the special reserve of Analamazaotra.
For your stay in Mantadia, carry out clothes adapted to humid forest, a raincoat and the non-skid shoes. Bring some products against the stings of bugs and a plastic bag for the garbage. Provide yourselves with a bottle of mineral water. You can order in advance a picnic pack at the welcome of the Park. The nearest banks are in Moramanga. Andasibe and Moramangas have a Health center of Basis Level II, of the Catholic clinics and a hospital. Mantadia and Andasibes are covered by the telephone network of Telma, Zain and Orange and has a cybercafé for your internet connections. Moramanga has a communal information center (with Internet, photocopy, fax, scanner…).
The history of the park
The Special Reserve of Analamazoatra has been created before the Mantadia national park , to preserve the Indris indri. Madagascar National Parks has extended the conservation of this region by the creation of the national park of Mantadia in 1989. The Betsimisaraka, the Merina and the Bezanozano live in Mantadia and its surounding. The park is the scene of several spectacular rituals as the "Tromba" that takes place in a sacred waterfall of Mantadia between November and December.
Mantadia, the Andekaleka tank…
Mantadia rises up at 900-1,250 meters of altitude and the trade wind blows permanently on its western part. The temperature is cool all year round with an average temperature of 18°C. In the East a dense humid forest sempervirente spreads. The wild exploitation of the forests and mines makes it fragile.
Mantadia is not only a reserve of water for its neighboring regions, but also for Antananarivo. The conservation of this park passes the environmental necessities extensively: of its existence and its everlastingness where the daily of millions of Malagasy depend! The rivers of Iofa and Sahanody, affluents of the Vohitra stream, nourish the hydroelectric dam of Andekaleka. They irrigate the pouring basins downstream and are the sources of drinking water for the villages and neighbourhood town. It is an oddness that incites the protection of the national park of Mantadia, especially as much the activities upstream, as the exploitation of graphites, pollute these rivers. They are found themselves silted up by the mud and the very thick sand.
The shelter of the Indri indri, the garden of the orchid
Of all lemurs of Mantadia, Indri Indri, endemic to Madagascar, is the one that enjoys best in the park. It is the biggest of the lemurs. It likes to live in group and the research of the scientists demonstrated that this lemur cannot be raised in captivity! However, some endemic species like Eulemur fulvus, Hapalemur griseus, the smallest lemur Microcebus and Lepilemurs could be also found.
Mantadia is also a kingdom of the orchids. Cymbidiellas falcigera and Bulbophyllum ameleni are the most enigmatic species, because in addition to be rare and magnificent plants, they maintain the balance of the ecosystem forest . Unfortunately, these two species are of a real raid by the horticulturists and the experts.
The microprojects of Andasibe Analamazaotra
The national park of Mantadia is in the commune of Andasibe and Ambotovola in the region of Alaotra Mangoro . It is 140 Km from Antananarivo and 250 Km from Toamasina. The road is perfect.
On road :
Antananarivo - Mantadia
Take the national road N°2 toward Toamasina. There are 110 Km between Antananarivo and Moramanga, 26 Km between Moramanga - and Andasibe. The journey lasts about 3h on a tarred road until the park of Mantadia.
By taxi-brousse :
Bus station in Antananarivo: From Ambodivona Station to Moramanga,
Then from Moramanga toward Andasibe.
The servicing is open every day
ations des visiteurs voThe park of Mantadia has five circuits. To distinguish these circuits of those of Analamzaotra, the entry of Mantadia is located in Falierena 8Km from the office of the park reception.
|The Rianasoa circuit
||Duration : 2h of walk
Distance : 1,5 km
The trekking begins at 9km of the entry of the park. It is a crossing that will lead you toward a natural swimming pool where falls a cascade of water. The bathing is allowed, to your swimsuits! Along the track, where we can generally hear the screams of the Indri indri, grow some orchids. It is an exceptional forest ambiance.
|Tariffs for a group of 6 people maximum: Ar 20.000
|The circuit of the sacred fall
||Duration : 2h
Distance : a loop of 2 Km
It starts from 10 Km of the entry of the Park. It is the cultural circuit of Mantadia: it will make you discover sacred places where the executed rituals are . The track is arranged but remains perfectly adequate with the environment. The slope is stiff in some parts. The landscape is fascinating and the rivers will seduce you.
|Tariffs for a group of 4 people : Ar 20.000
|The circuit of Tsakoka
||Duration : 3h
Distance : 3 km
The circuit has some little stiff slopes. The walk begins at 14 Km from the entry of the Park. You will have a fantastic view of the propithecus, varecia, endemic bird of the region, the" ground roller ", one bug rolls. It is also an ideal circuitl to admire the plants of the rivers.
|Tariffs for a group of 4 people : Ar 50.000
|The Belakato circuit
||Duration : 3h
Distance : 3,5 km
Belakato begins at 11 Km from the entry of the Park. This circuit includes stiff slopes. It is the bestr circuit to meet groups of lemurs like the Indri indri, the Propithecus, the Hapalémur. The track bords the cascades, of waters and rivers fall.
|Tariffs for a group of 4 people:
- Guidance: Ar 30,000
- Carrier: Ar 15.,000
|The trekking circuit
||Duration : One day
Distance : 10 km
Le grand trekking débute à 6km de l’entrée du Parc. Il rallie tous les circuits de Mantadia et compile les meilleures visites.
|Tariffs for a group of 4 people:
- Guidance: Ar 60.000
- Carrier: Ar 20.000
A welcome office is waiting for you at the entry of the Park of Mantadia with a parking lot for about thirty cars. You can ask for information there about your stay plan. 70 French-speaking and English-speaking guides work in the park of Mantadia. They are affiliated with the three associations of guidance: the Aga, Mitsinjo and Tambatra.
Mantadia has its center of interpretation, close to the office. The center gives you a preview of the park before your visit. A kiosk is also opened by the entry of the park for the purchase of your souvenir articles manufactured by the local population of the surrounding: embroideries, sculptures, paintings…
The sites of camps and a lodging of stage exist in the Special Reserve of Analamazaotra
Llodgings of all categories are built in the surroundings of the park, that are from the simplest to the starry hotel.
Madagascar National ParksToamasina
BP 548 – Salazamay
Tél : + (261 20) 53 327 07
Fax : + (261 20) 53 318 39
Email : email@example.com
Parc National Andasibe/Mantadia :
BP 15 Andasibe – 514 Moramanga
Tél. : +(261 20)56 832 21
Tél. : Fax : +(261 20) 56 832 01
GSM : +(261 33) 02 000 05 (Standard)
DP : René RANDRIAMBOHANGINJATOVO
Tél. : + (261 33) 02 000 06
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
What to do in Mantadia? The trekking, Of course! But not only the trekking. Here are some programs to nick in your schedule book of stay:
• "Visit the park of orchids where orchids in way of disappearance are preserved and multiplied. These flowers have been harvested in the surrounding secondary forests of Mantadia. Between September and January, every species blooms in turns. A delight of the eyes.
• The enthusiasts of history are going to like the village of Andasibe, its church, its traditional dwellings and its monuments. Andasibe is at 1Km of the park, accessible by car or on foot. It is an in time escape .
• Have a tour in the private park of Vakôna where some animals in captivity live. This park is at 5Km from Andasibe, accessible by car or on foot.
• Go trough the private park of Mitsinjo that regroups faunas and floras of the Special Reserve of Analamazoatra. We can see species of endemic palms there like the Ravenea louvelii. The private park of Mitsinjo is located close to the Special Reserve of Analamazoatra.
• Go to the Eulophiella site, that is a private park with natural forest and ideal for the agritourisme. It is 11km from Andasibe on the National Road N°2, accessible on foot or by car.
• A little further, you will find the forest of Maromizaha. It is a natural forest where wild animals live. It is 136 Km from Antananarivo on the national road N°2, accessible on foot and by car.
• Don't forget the swamp of Torotorofotsy that is classified the international convention on the humid zones, RAMSAR to protect and to use humid zones rationally. The golden frog lives in this swamp. Torotorofotsy is 10km from the village of Andasibe, only accessible on foot.
• Also visit the arts shop of the Tanjona association 1km from the park of Mantadia. This association is beneficiary of the 50% of the entry Rights in the Protected Areas (DEAP). The women of Andasibe have fingers of fairies: the embroidery and the basketwork are their specialties.
• Finally, for the traditional note, attend the custom of the" Toalaza " from June to September . It is a collective circumcision and the operation must be done…on the back of a bull-calf!