Baie de Baly
Tsingy de Namoroka
Cap Sainte Marie
Montagne et Forêt d’Ambre
News of Analamerana protected area
News are ongoing...
The Special Reserve of Analamerana is in the North of Madagascar. It is the only Malagasy protected area that shelters Propithecus perrieri lemur. Among the seven species of baobabs known in the island, three elected home in the heart of the reserve. GPS: 12° 41’ and 12° 53’ of south latitude 49° 21’ and 49° 37’ of East longitude.
The Special Reserve of Analamerana, 34,700 ha, is done on horseback between the West Region, the Diana and the East, the Sava, between the Irodo river in the North and the Loky in the South. The Reserve amounts of the coastline of the Indian Ocean to the east, 10 m above sea level until peaking Ankarana plateau to the west to 648 m altitude at Antsohihibe.
The fauna Travel shrewd...
The avifauna of Analamerana counts numerous species seven of which are endemic. Among these birds, we find the eight rarest birds in the world as Van Dam’s Vanga Xenopirostris damii.
On the other hand, the climate and the relatively stripped of a big part of the reserve don’t encourage the abundance of reptiles and amphibians. However, Analamerana remains a conquered earth for Furcifer petteri, Boa manditra, and Boa madagascariensis.
The best fauna of Analamerana
1. Propithecus perrieri or Akomba jôby is an endemic lemur of Analamerana. We can see it all year round in Ankavanana, Antombiratsy and Analabe or in Andrafiamena. It is a critically endangered species among the 25 species most endangered primates in the world.
2. Eulemur sanfordi or Ankomba biharovôko is also a lemur that can be seen from January to December in Ankavanana, Antombiratsy and Analabe or in Andrafiamena.
3. Galidia elegans dambrensis or Vontsira is a mammal that we can see at Ankavanana, Antombiratsy and Analabe or in Andrafiamena in rainy weather.
4. Van dam’s vanga Xenopirostris damii. This Endemic species of Madagascar has a very small range and considered as the rarest and most threatened vanga.
5. Malagasy pond heron Ardeola idae. This bird of the family of the Ardeidae is endemic to Madagascar . Outside of breeding season, this species migrate in Africa. Species classified endangered species (EN).
The Analamerana Special Reserve contains typical species of the ecoregion of the west, the East and the Center at a time. Thus, three species of baobabs out seven known in Madagascar are found in the Reserve: Adansonia perrieri, Adansonia madagascariens and Adansonia suareziensis. Six species of palms have also been inventoried there.
The best flora of Analamerana
1. Adansonia perrieri or Bozy is an endemic species of Madagascar. We can find it in Antaignaombihely, Analabe and Ankarana.
2. Coffea saharenanensis or Kafeala generally grows at Analabe, Ankavanana and Antombiratsy.
3. Eugenia analameranensis or Rôtro is also seen in Analabe, Ankavanana and Antombiratsy.
For a comfortable visit in the Special Reserve of Analamerana, bring a raincoat, bush shoes, mosquito repellent and bottles of mineral water. The nearest banks are in Antsiranana as well as Health Centers. The region of Analamerana is covered with the telephone networks of Orange and Zain.
The Special Reserve history
In 1956, Analamerana was classified Special Reserve under the management of the Direction of Waters and Forests, by the slant of the Forest Sorting of North Anivorano. Analamerana that has a strategic role for the conservation. In the whole network of the protected areas of Madagascar, it is the only one that shelters Propithecus perrieri. So of the three species of Baobab out of the seven known. It is this strong representativeness that makes the strength of Analamerana because rare is a park that regroups as many species as there in a very limited area.
To the service of the men?
Eight rivers flow in the Special Reserve of Analamerana. They supply water to the populations of Anivorano, Sadjoavato and Ankarongana and irrigate the 12,000 ha of the plain of Irodo and Ambohibory. The forests of galleries that snake the recessed valleys and border the steep slopes that protect the soils and the pouring basins of three communes of the region. It is the nature's bits of help to agriculture.
Unfortunately, the human activity compromises the integrity of the ecosystem because Analamerana is often the scene of arsons to renew pastures, uncontrolled clearings or illicit cut of wood. The market of the precious wood is especially important in this region.
The region is dominated by a calcerous massif with many rocky outcrops, the Tsingy. It is a karstic plateau containing the massif of Analamerana from the East to the West , the massif of Antsohy and a part of the chain of the Andrafiamena. Analamerana rises from the coastline of the ocean Indian to the East, at 10 m above sea level just to dominate the Ankarana plateau in the west. The climate is humid and hot. The dry season is marked distinctly from June to August and the temperature varies from 20 to 30°C to give an annual average of 25°C.
The microprojects of Analamerana
Antananarivo - Analamerana is a journey of 24h which is only possible between May and November, during the dry season.
By road :
From Antananarivo Take the National Road N° 6.
You can :
- Branch off at Antanandrainitelo, 45 km from Antsiranana. The road is tarred. Continue on 20 km until Irodo. The road is in bad state. Finally, join the reserve of Analamerana by motorcycle, by bicycle or on foot.
- Branch at 60 Km of Antsiranana in Sadjoavato. It is a tarred road. Continue on 25 Km, until the Rural commune of Ankarongana. The road is bumpy enough. Reach the reserve by motorcycle, bicycle or on foot.
By Taxi brousse :
Antananarivo - Antsiranana
Bus Station: Ambodivona, every day.
By Plane :
The Air Madagascar Company provides a regular flight toward Antsiranana, airport of Arachard. The transfer toward the Special Reserve of Analamerana is done by car, a 4X4 is recommended.
For your transfer, join :
- Anivorano North: 75 km of road for 1h 30.
- Irodo by car 4X4. From there, join the Special Reserve by motorcycle, bicycle or on foot.
- The rural municipality of Ankarongana, by car 4X4. From there, join the Reserve by motorcycle, bicycle or on foot.
The office of the Special Reserve of Analamerana is at North Anivorano. There you will be able to inquire about your stay. For your time, Analamerana is not equipped to accomodate you but it is possible to lodge at the inhabitant, in modest conditions. A hotel with a middle comfort is established close to the reserve.
Madagascar National Parks in Antsiranana
Route de l’Aéroport BP 475
Tél./fax : (261 20) 82 213 20
GSM : +(261 32) 02 531 27 (Standard)
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Special Reserve Analamerana
BP 475 – 201 Antsiranana
Chief of Reserve : ABDOUL-KADRI Hervé
Tél. : + (261 02) 02 835 30
+ (261 32) 04 751 27
The Reserve of Analamerana doesn't have any circuits yet. But the region is a mosaic of sites and cultural events it's absolutly worth discovering. Outside the reserve, you will have the opportunity to visit the red Tsingy, 15 Km on the national road N°6. The site is accessible by 4x4. The sacred lake of Antagnavo The park of Ankarana spreads over 18,225 ha. Ankarana is the western extension of a chalky massif of the mediumJurassic that emerges a basaltic plain located above 50m over the sea level. The plateau, that is a greatly eroded karstique formation in surface, is constituted by a lapiaz of Tsingy.is a fantastic place and will seduce you. It is 4Km on the national road N°6, accessible by 4x4.
Several festivals highlight the region's days. In July and August, the inhabitants celebrate the" Kabiry" in Ambilobe during four days. 3,500 people are expected to this cultural and artistic demonstration dedicated to the Antakarana culture who’s "Kabiry" is the traditional musical instrument.
In August and September, 2,500 people meet themselves in Ambanja to participate in the "Sorogno" that will be followed in October by the "Vagnono". these are the cultural festivals that's particular to give a good ambiance and traditional music.