Baie de Baly
Tsingy de Namoroka
Cap Sainte Marie
Montagne et Forêt d’Ambre
News of Kirindy Mitea protected area
News are ongoing...
"The national park of Kirindy Mitea spreads over the Menabe, in the South and coast the sea, by the channel of Mozambique. The park is a transition between the biodiversity of the west and the South. Kirindy Mitea is famous for its quality of fauna: most of its animals are unique, several species reach a rate of endémicité of 100%.
The Kirindy Mitea National Park , 72.200 ha, is located along the shore of the Mozambique Channel, in the Menabe, magnificent country of the Sakalavas. It is a shelter of the national regional and even local endemic species. Hingeed between the South and the west, it represents a range of very varied ecosystems. Spiny dry and lined dense forests, bays, beaches, inshore dunes and islets illustrate an exotic panorama.
We can find inside of the Kirindy Mitea 11 species of mammals, 10 of which are endemic; 47 species of birds 33 of which are endemic, and 23 reptiles all endemic.
The best fauna of the Kirindy Mitea
1. The Sifaka or Propithecus verreauxi. This endemic lemur lives in the dense dry forest and the lined spiny. One sees it between 7 and 9 o'clock in the morning.
2. The Boenga or Lepilemur ruficaudatus. Endemic Lemur, it has a redhead fur sinks. It is a nocturnal of the dense dry forests and the lined spiny. We can see it from 6 p.m.
3. The Tanta, Phaner pallescens, is a redhead gray lemur. A black strip crosses its back and two black strips underline the over of its eyes. Its tail and its paws are dark. This nocturnal in the dry forest and the lined spiny. We can see it from 6 p.m.
4. The greaterflamingo, Phoenicopterus ruber roseus a subspecies endemic to Madagascar, and lesserflamingo, Phoeniconiais minor are twowater birds and more common at the south of the Island.
5. The Bernier’s teal, Anas bernieri, is also an endemic bird to Madagascar. this species is very threatened and classified as endangered (EN) by IUCN in 2008.
6. The Malagasy kingfisher Alcedo vintsioides or Vintsy is a bird of water endemic toMadagascar.
7. The Tylas Vanga is presented by one subspecies at this site Tylas eduardi albigularis
The ecosystem hinge of the Kirindy Mitea have also created a little particular flora variety. 185 different plant species have been recorded in this protected area.
The best flora of the Kirindy Mitea
1. The Baobab, Adansonia grandidieri. Gigantic tree capable of reaching 40m high. Its peel permits to prepare the ropes and roofings.
2. The Givotia madagascariensis, that provides wood for the construction of dugouts.
3. The Albizzia greveana that gives some boards for the confection of schooners and coffins.
4. The Colvillera racemosa, close parent of the flaming. This tree is an explosion of iridescent colors.
5. The Uncarina stellulifera or farehitsa. It is a little curious tree. Its fruits are provided with long rigid extensions with sharp hooks. They glue to the hand, the hooks clinging to the fingers. The villagers use them like traps for rats.
Protect yourselves from the sun. Don't forget your hat, cap, glasses and solar cream. Provide yourselves with good walking shoes and a raincoat for the sea crossing. Make a good provision of mineral water in bottle and take only cold.
The nearest bank is in Morondava. Morondava, Belos sur Mer and Ambararata have a health center. The park of Kirindy Mitea is covered by the telephone networks of Telma, Orange and Zain, with BLU. Among some tourist operators of Belo sur sea, we can find a telephone trough satellite.
The history of the park
The National Park Kirindy Mitea was created in 1997. Several legends speak of this park. Thus, the old like to tell the myth of the" songomby ", an animal half horse, half zebu who would have lived in the forests of the Kirindy Mitea, or the legend of the "Hako" a wild man in Mahaboboka, or of the "Behisatsy" a monstrous man who would have lived in the mangrove swamp of Antanimanimbo. It is also in these forests of the Kirindy Mitea where the myth of a Malagasy hercule was born . The legend tells that he would have pulled a Nato, a tree of 20 m high to prove his strength. The trunk and the roots of this Nato are found in Manahy. The Sakalavas have lived around the park, since then. They live with slash and burn culture and livesstock. The projects of conservation of the Kirindy Mitea benefitted them. 4.500 people of Belo sur Mer have now drinking water. Their villages have some schools and a dam has been constructed to irrigate the plantations. Generating activities of incomes as the apiculture, the market culture, the culture of peanuts, pea, cape and yams, have been created to reduce the dependence of the population on the natural resources of the park.
A footbridge park
Kirindy Mitea is part of the protected areas " footbridges ". The park, along side the sea, made the transition between the ecosystem of the west and the South. In the west the dense dry forest spread, typical of the Menabe. It continues by the formation in transition, a lined spiny in Didiereaceae or in Euphorbiaceae and a dense dry forest where the Lemurs catta and other specific species of the South live. The inshore zone of the park is a continuation of bays, beaches, mangrove swamps, dunes, islets and tan, saturated soils in salt in powdery surface called " sirasira ".
A brackish water lake welcomes the aquatic birds as the pink flamingos and the ducks of Bernier. This lake spread further in the season of rain, from November till March. The yearly precipitations are valued from 575 to 1330mm and the heavy rains are forcasted in January. It is very hot in the Kirindy Mitea: the average temperature oscillates between 25°C and 31,4°C
An endemic home
While making the link between the South and the west, the park contributed to create a very particular biodiversity: Kirindy Mitea is a home of endemisme. 100% of its reptiles and its amphibians, 91% of its mammals, 70,21%, of its birds are endemic. Among the 185 species of flora identified, the rate of endemicity is 70%. On the other hand the number of species is the least in comparison to the forests of the East.
The microprojects of Kirindy Mitea
Kirindy Mitea is about 70 Km in South of Morondava. The road is secondary but in good state. You can join the park by car, by boat or by plane.
Antananarivo - Kirindy Mitea makes 500 Km on secondary road in good state.
- Take the National Road N°7 until Antsirabe. Bifurcate to take the National Road N°35, toward Morondava. Drive on a 500 km way.
From Morondava on :
Morondava - Kirindy Mitea, 105 Km of a secondary road in good state
- Take the Provincial interest road N°111. Then turn to Bemanonga 8 km from Morondava, drive on a 105 km way. Careful, the road is only open in dry season, from June to November. You of must pay a toll right. In the period of rain, the journey toward Kirindy Mitea is done by a motor dugout or boat.
By Taxi brousse :
Bus station in Antananarivo: "Fasan'ny karana ", dam road: every day
By plane :
The Air Madagascar company assures a regular flight toward Morondava. Then join the Park by 4X4 car (3h of road) on 105km or by dugout or motor boat (2h)
By boat :
Take the boat at Nosikely. The servicing depends on the booking and the number of customers. The crossing lasts 3h in motorized dugout and 2h in the fast motor. Make sure of the date of return of the dugout!
The Kirindy Mitea Park has 3 easy and medium circuit
|The circuit of Agnolignoly
||Duration : 1h
Distance : 2 km in dugout
The dugout borders a forest of mangroves to guide you towards the lodgings of the "Fanihy" bats. At the estuaries, admire the colonies of aquatic birds.
|Guidance and renting of dugout:Ar 15.000
|The circuit of Ambondro and Sirave
||Duration : 2h
Distance : 3 km of trekking
This circuit cros the sand dunes toward the Ambodro lakes and Siraves, future RAMSAR sites, where the birds of water regroup. It continues toward the dense and dry forest and the lined spiny to discover the baobabs. It is a bathing circuit that offers you the beach and the islets in privilege.
|- Guide : Ar 5.000
- Carrier : Ar 3000
|The circuit of Maetsakaloe
||Duration : 2h
Distance : 4 km on foot
It is a hike in dry dense forest in the middle of the baobabs, the renala and fony, with the possibility of discovering some lemurs like the Sifaka, the gidro or the Maky and the birds.
|- Guide : Ar 5.000
- Carrier : Ar 3000
The park of Kirindy Mitea has a welcome office in Morondava to organize your journey. An office of link is also found in Belo sur Mer. All payment is done at the unique Ticket desk of the Madagascar National Park. Two French-speaking and English-speaking guides work in the park. Lodgings of stages are under construction in Manahy. Some simple or comfortable hotels are established in Belo sur Mer.
Passionate of confirmed avifaune and ornithologists , Kirindy Mitea is your park. But the good planswon't be missed. The park is alongside the sea and the bathing is not really forbidden!
But discover also, around the park of Kirindy Mitea, the famous alley of the Baobabs. These gigantic trees form, on all the alley between Morondava and Belo of Tsiribihina a charming decor either exotic or original. By the end the day, the orange lights of the newborn evening where draws itself the shade of the baobabs is an extraordinary show. The alley is accessible by car or by VTT bike. Don't forget your camera!
Also visit the yard of boutre in Belo sur Mer 100 km South of Morondava. It is the biggest construction site of the boutres in Madagascar, the opportunity to discover a centennial art that makes the generations and the generations of Sakalava live. The yard is accessible by the motor boat, by dugout or by 4x4 during the dry season. Finally make a tour to the private reserve CFPF 40 km from Morondava. Some carnivorous lemurs live in this reserve, accessible by car.
The region is also a fishpond of big traditions. Every year during three days, the Menabe celebrates the Jama that is a cultural and0environmental festival. Good ambiance and local animations to the appointment. Also attend the Fitampoha, the traditional Bath of the royal relics that the Sakalavas celebrate during one week every five years. The Fitampoha concerns particularly the Marosegna dynasty in Belo of Tsiribihina.
Every year, at the end of the month of July the Vositse marathon that has an international range takes place. It is a sporty demonstration dedicated to the protection of the environment. 150 foreign athletes and 100 national run together. To your numbers!
Along side the sea, the ceremonies dedicated to the activities of fishing doesn't stop. You will have the opportunity to see a" Zotso botry ", that is a ceremony of the setting in water of a new boutre. In 2007, five zotso botry has been made. It is a tradition of the inhabitants of Belo sur Mer.